Sunday, September 17, 2006

Last of the Hummers?

In a recent post, I promised a photo of a male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. Here are my best two photos of the males. The ruby-colored throat stands out in daylight and after dusk (the second photo was taken with a flash).
But, the hummingbirds have not been seen in the Habitat for five days.
As I mentioned in that recent post, the hummers were very frequent visitors to the habitat. However, since that post on September 12, no hummers have been seen. I changed the sugar water in the hummingbird feeder yesterday, and I will leave it in place for another few weeks, but I suspect that the last hummer has headed south. According to hummingbirds.net, "Some adult males start migrating south as early as mid-July, but the peak of southward migration for this species is late August and early September. By mid-September, essentially all of the Ruby-throated at feeders are migrating through from farther north, and not the same individuals seen in the summer. "
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment