Saturday, January 06, 2007

Woodpeckers Visit Window Feeder

I mentioned this past fall that I had installed a new feeder on one of the porch windows. I also posted a photo of one of the cardinals posing with the Christmas tree located on the other side of window. I placed shelled sunflower seeds in this feeder – my thinking being that the birds brave enough to come so close to the porch should be rewarded with not having to shell the seeds. Regardless, the feeder has been a great way to see the smaller birds close up.
During December, the downy woodpeckers began coming. Shown here is one of the female downies that has grown extremely tolerant of my presence inside the porch and outside within 5 feet of this feeder or the feeder down in the yard. As you can see in these photos, I really should add a piece to this feeder so that the woodpeckers have a place to rest their tail.
The chickadees and titmice were the first last fall to visit this feeder. The chickadee is shown in the fourth photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment