Monday, December 29, 2008

Hummingbird in the House

One day, I decided to attempt some close-ups of the hummingbirds feeding near the window. To get the best photo, I opened the window to the porch. After about five minutes and lots of photos, I took up another position - forgetting to close the window.

As the more aggressive hummer returned, he bumped another one into the open window. We had a hummingbird in the house. The in-house hummer immediately went to the highest level (the ceiling) and had no way to get out. For the next 15 minutes, I struggled with how to get the hummer out, while the hummer struggled with exhaustion. During one point the hummer took a rest in one of my wife's summer wreaths hanging on the wall.
Eventually, I opened the tops of the windows (versus the normal bottoms)and used a small broom to encourage the hummer to leave, which he eventually did.

No comments:

Post a Comment